Why do people put their life on facebook?

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by Steve, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Steve

Steve Member

Huh! Why do people feel the need to tell the world where they work, live, what their doing every second? isnt that how stalkers and pervs get to u?

What do you think about it? :rolleyes:
  2. Beverly

Beverly Well-Known Member Staff Member

Yeah, that's creepy weird. Thanks for pointing that out.

A lot of people on Facebook are very young. If they're talking about their school, that's just dangerous. And, even a grown up should use caution when talking about their job/life, for many reasons.

So let's say, you post about your family. And, someone gets fixated on you or or your family. And, they know where you work and go sit outside your job in their car and follow you home.

Then they know where you live. And, your entire family could suffer cause of it.

That's creepy, scary, sad and weird. And, i hope it never happens to anyone.

So yeah, keep all that private stuff to yourself. Good idea.
    Steve likes this.
  3. shek

shek Well-Known Member

I too don't understand about it, I never expose my personality on facebook !
  4. Beverly

I don't mind showing my personality on Facebook but not sharing the details of my intimate or personal life. That's dangerous.
  5. Steve

Steve Member

Its good, but also dont share your personal photos on Facebook, it might be dangerous too!
  6. Beverly

For a regular person, sharing anything on Facebook could be dangerous. But if you're an internet marketer, you'll actually endear yourself to your followers, if they see you as a real person. In fact, take a look at any of the great (as in rich, successful) internet marketers and you'll always see their personal photo (and sometimes a few select family photos) on their blog/site/FB page. And, that's all part of an effort to 'personalize' the internet marketing. They say it's so much easier to get someone to buy from you when they feel you are a real person and not conglomerate or worse a random internet FB spammer.
  7. jordan

jordan Administrator Staff Member

I've wondered this myself. My entire family (aside from me and my wife) does this. I think they are crazy. It causes so much drama in their lives.

They even go as far as to put other people's life on facebook. For example, they post stuff and pictures about us all the time even though we ask them NOT to do it.
    Steve and Beverly like this.
  8. shek

shek Well-Known Member

You can always protect photos by sharing it with custom list :)
  9. GekiDan

GekiDan Well-Known Member

Maybe they just need some attention. I kinda don't like that and felt annoyed when I read them on Facebook.

When someone is mentioning me on Facebook, I don't mind. It's much better than them talking behind my backs.
    Beverly likes this.
  10. shek

shek Well-Known Member

It is personal choice, I mean if somebody mention you or tag you without you been in that context, you might feel annoyed when you see those notifications everytime somebody post !
  11. Beverly

And, I can understand your concern. For good reasons, too.

I would be super freaked out if someone posted a photo of my daughter on their Facebook page. Even if she was just one of the people in the photo. I'm ultra protective of her. Only very close friends see my family photos. After this, I'm going to check to make sure that people can't download the photos I post. And, certainly none of the family related posts/photos are public, for privacy/security reasons.
  12. shek

shek Well-Known Member

In the situations where I see my pic posted by my relative and it is for public view, generally I contact them directly and tell them to make those photos private. :)
  13. Beverly

Hopefully, a relative would understand your need for privacy. However, there are some people who refuse to understand privacy issues. I'm surprised that Facebook hasn't been slapped with privacy lawsuits as it's usually against the law (in the United States) to show a minor's photo in a public place, such as on a TV news report, without the parent's permission, such as on a television news report. That's the situation especially with news agencies that broadcast stories about children. Without the parent's permission, they have to blur out the child's face. We'll see if this becomes an issue in the future.
  14. GekiDan

I don't know. But if those pics are "owned" by that member, he have the right to post it on his account. Unless the image posted, with me or anyone I knew, isn't posted in a bad way or could affect our private life, I don't think it really matters.
  15. Beverly

It's just not safe to be posting pictures of one's own children or family member's children on Facebook and online. But sometimes people don't understand and post anyway. There are lots of dangerous people out there who can easily find out where you live, where your family/relatives live by gathering the pieces of information together. Of course, you're an adult, so it probably doesn't matter if someone is posting a photo of you on their Facebook page.
  16. GekiDan

Unless you are a very important person or a family facing threats, I don't think there's a problem for children to be included on your profile. If you still wary, only add people whom you known personally or put them into lists, so this lists can see your pics, and the other lists can't see them.
  17. Beverly

You really never know who is looking at or downloading images of your children when you post them online publicly. I only ever post images that only my friends see. These are nice family photos. But someone might post a photo of my child publicly that the world could see. And, no that would not make me happy. Cause there are lots of freaks out there.
  18. GekiDan

Well, why post your family pics online? This has been my question to people who kept worrying on privacy issues on sites like Facebook.
  19. Beverly

I'm talking about situations, where you and your family might be at a birthday party. And, someone snaps a photo of everyone and then goes home and posts pictures on Facebook. Sometimes, you know those people and sometimes you don't. And, if they post photos publicly, you can't really stop them. Though you can ask them not to post photos that involve minor age children. And, no i don't publicly post photos of my family. My family is not for mass public consumption.
  20. GekiDan

Well, that's kinda hard. I mean, if you don't want that to happen, you should refrain from going on such parties or gatherings. But I know what you felt. Still, there are things like this that we can't prevent.